The USS S-34 (SS-139) was laid down on 28 May 1918 by the Union Iron Works Division of the Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation…a subcontractor of the Electric Boat Company of New York City, New York…at San Francisco, California. The submarine was commissioned by Miss Florence Hellman and dispatched on 13 February 1919. The S-watercraft was authorized on 12 July 1922 with Lieutenant Elroy L. Vanderkloot in charge.

Whenever authorized, the S-1 Class seaside and harbor safeguard submarine was 219’3″ long generally speaking; had an amazing light emission”; had a typical surface dislodging of 854 tons, and, when in that condition, had a mean draft of 15’11”. Submerged removal was 1,062 tons. The submarine was of bolted development. The composed compliment was four officers and thirty-four enrolled men. The vessel could work securely to profundities of 200 feet. The submarine was equipped with four 21-inch torpedo tubes…installed in the bow. Twelve torpedoes were conveyed. One 4-inch/50 bore deck weapon was introduced. The full heap of diesel oil conveyed was 41,921 gallons, which powered two 600 planned brake torque Model 8-EB-15NR diesel motors fabricated by the New London Ship and Engine Company at Groton, Connecticut…which could drive the boat…via a diesel direct drive impetus system…at 14.5 bunches at first glance. Power for submerged impetus was given by a primary stockpiling battery, partitioned into two sixty-cell batteries, fabricated by the Electric Storage Battery Company (EXIDE) at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania…which controlled two 750 planned brake strength fundamental impetus engines made by the Electro Dynamic Company at Bayonne, New Jersey…which turned propeller shafts…which turned propellers…which could drive the submarine at 11 hitches for a brief timeframe when working underneath the surface of the ocean. Slower submerged paces brought about more noteworthy strengths before the batteries should have been be energized by the motors and generators.

Taking after dispatching, USS S-34 (SS-139) was requested to the United States Naval Submarine Base at New London/Groton, Connecticut, for building adjustments by the prime temporary worker, the Electric Boat Company. Decommissioned on 25 October 1922, she was conveyed to the organization, which finished the work in the spring of 1923. The submarine was recommissioned on 23 April 1923; and, after further trials and different activities off the east shore of the United States, and in the Caribbean Sea, she came back toward the west shoreline of the United States, touching base at San Diego in the State of California, her home port, on 6 August 1923.

For the following eighteen months, the submarine stayed situated in southern California; then, in 1925, she was requested to the Philippine Islands. The S-vessel withdrew from San Francisco in mid-April; landed at the submarine base at Cavite on the Island of Luzon in the Philippines on 12 July 1925; and, after voyage repairs and a redesign, initiated operations as a unit of the United States Asiatic Fleet. From that point until 1932, she turned between activities, watches, and upgrades in the Philippines amid the winter and organizations to the China coast in the late spring for operations out of Tsingtao. In 1932, she was requested back toward the eastern Pacific Ocean zones.

USS S-34 withdrew Manila on 2 May 1932 and set out toward Pearl Harbor in the Territory of Hawaii, whence she worked from until April of 1941. The submarine then came back to San Diego.

Amid the remaining months of peace preceding the Japanese assault on the Hawaiian Islands on 7 December 1941…which dove the United States into the Second World War as a dynamic participant…USS S-34 gave administrations toward the West Coast Sound School. With the bombarding of Pearl Harbor, guarded watch work off the west shoreline of the United States was added to her obligations. Nonetheless, with the new year, 1942, she and other World War I outline submarines were requested arranged for administration in the North Pacific Ocean with regards to the Aleutian Islands.

USS S-34 experienced upgrade at the Mare Island Navy Yard at Vallejo, California; and, in March of 1942, she moved north to the recently settled submarine base at Dutch Harbor, Unalaska.

On 12 April 1942, USS S-34 traveled west on her first war watch. One day out, a substantial wave tossed the Quartermaster-of-the-Watch against the side of the extension. The S-vessel was compelled to come back to base to put the severely harmed man aground. Touching base on 14 April, she cleared Dutch Harbor, once more, that day, and continued her westbound section. On 15 April, designing setbacks and poor climate hindered her advancement. The following day, the climate directed, yet strengthened again on the eighteenth. On the twentieth, the submarine left the Bering Sea and entered the less fierce, however mist covered, waters of the Kurils. After two days, off the passageway to Onekotan Strait, she assaulted her first foe target, however neglected to score.

The following day, USS S-34 moved into the Sea of Okhotsk to take up her allocated station west of Paramushiro. Ice, two to five feet over the water, still secured the territory, and the S-pontoon resigned through the strait to watch on the Pacific side of the island.

The 24th brought another unsuccessful assault on a commercial vessel and an endeavor to close a warship. After two days, the posts watched expanded action by Japanese watch planes. On the 27th, the S-vessel again endeavored to enter the ice, by means of Mushiru Strait. That day, she came back to the Pacific; and, on the 28th, she made a beeline for the Aleutians.

USS S-34 experienced hilly oceans in the Bering Sea; at the same time, by 1 May, the S-watercraft was at Attu. Thus, she proceeded to Kiska; stayed seaward on the second as a tempest battered the island; and, on the third, she recharged and moved north to catch any foe submarines which may be setting out toward the Gulf of Alaska. On the tenth, the submarine came back to Dutch Harbor, Unalaska.

Refitting as insight assessments anticipating a Japanese push at Midway and the Aleutians were gotten, USS S-34 cleared Dutch Harbor on 28 May 1942 and continued west to watch north of Attu. On the 29th, the Japanese Aleutian power sortied from Ominato and traveled east, its way to deal with its objective secured by haze and rain. On the morning of 3 June 1942, Japanese planes bombarded Dutch Harbor.

From the begin of her watch until 11 June, USS S-34 stayed in her doled out range, listening to reports, yet locating no foe ships. On the eleventh, she got news of the Japanese control of Kiska and requests to take “most extreme hostile activity.” She set out toward Kiska.

Occupied back to Dutch Harbor, USS S-34 recharged on the twelfth, and got in progress again that day, however came back to Attu as opposed to going to Kiska. She surveyed Sarana Bay, Holtz Bay, and Chichagof Harbor; none demonstrated any action. On the seventeenth, she located a warship off the Semichi Islands, however couldn’t close the reach. The S-vessel then came back to Attu and, on the twentieth, located a foe destroyer watching off Sarana Bay. Somewhere around 0700 and 1000, she located and lost the objective twice as it moved all through the mist.

At 1155, USS S-34 located an expansive tanker inside the narrows. After fifty minutes, she slipped past a destroyer guarding the passageway and started moving into the straight. Her objective was occupied with refueling another destroyer. At 1350, the submarine grounded at a profundity of 48 feet. Keep running up to 25 feet, she left the water to her waterline; then supported off into profound water. Inside of five minutes, she was working at periscope profundity. The energizing destroyer had become in progress from nearby the tanker and was dashing over the mediating waters. USS S-34 let go two torpedoes at the destroyer, driving the adversary to swerve and go down the submarine’s port side. Not able to present her torpedo tubes as a powerful influence for the tanker, the S-vessel swung right to stay away from profundity charges. At 1403, she bottomed in 164 feet of water, simply inside the passageway to the straight, where she stayed until 2330.

Amid that time, one and only destroyer was heard scanning for her; the other, which had led the rapid assault, was heard pinging from the same spot for nine hours. She had probably grounded after the assault; be that as it may, by 2300, the tide had risen and the destroyer had moved to join in the quest for the submarine.

At 2330, USS S-34 started to advance out of the cove. After twenty minutes, one of the destroyers found her. The pace of the chase was ventured up, yet the S-vessel dodged endeavors to pulverize her. By 0230, on the 21st, she had moved out of the straight; lost her follower; and lay out steps to arrive at her base at Dutch Harbor.

On 26 June 1942, USS S-34, moored in Dutch Harbor, got in progress and continued to Bremerton, Washington State, for update at the Puget Sound Navy Yard…and preparing obligation. On 13 September 1942, the submarine came back to Unalaska; and, on the fourteenth, the S-watercraft withdrew Dutch Harbor on her third war watch. After two days, she crossed the 180 Degree Meridian; and, on the seventeenth, she touched base in the Semichi zone and started crossing the Japanese supply paths toward the western Aleutians looking for targets. On the twentieth, while off Buldir, her after radio pole was halfway diverted by substantial oceans and debilitated to foul the propellers and stern planes. Notwithstanding the overwhelming oceans, Chief Machinist’s Mate B. F. Allen went over the side; cut the destruction hapless, and fixed two forward wing recieving wires.

On the 21st, USS S-34 continued her watch off Attu, surveying the ways to deal with its harbors. On the 26th, she was requested to Kiska; and, on the evening of the 28th, she located a minelayer off Kiska Harbor. The adversary, on the other hand, recognized her vicinity before she could close the objective. Destroyers joined the minelayer, and USS S-34, at the end of the day, turned into the chased. Forty minutes and 47 profundity charges later, she cleared the prompt range. After a week, she located and shut a Kiska-bound adversary submarine; be that as it may, as the