Launched at the Fore River Shipbuilding Company in Quincy, MA on 27 September 1917, O-3 was commissioned on 13 June 1918. She became a part of the Atlantic coastal patrol, on anti-U-boat duty along the Atlantic coast. She was scheduled to go to Europe in November 1918, but the war ended before the crossing was completed.
During the interwar years, O-3 served on training duty at New London, as well as at Coco Solo, in the Panama Canal Zone. She was decommissioned and placed in reserve in Philadelphia on 6 June 1931.
O-3 was brought out of retirement and recommissioned on 3 February 1941 and assigned to the Submarine School at New London for training duties. She served in this capacity until after the Japanese surrender, and was then decommissioned at Portsmouth, NH on 11 September 1945. Striken in October, she was scrapped in 1946.
Builder: Fore River
First Captain: LT G.L. Dickson
SS-64 Submarine Photos